Dentures vs Bridges
Removable partial dentures or fixed bridges: which one is for me?
Dentures or bridges? When it comes to replacing missing teeth, there are a few different options available. Two common options are removable partial dentures and fixed bridges. But how do you know which one is right for you? Here’s a breakdown of each option to help you decide.
Removable Partial Dentures(RPDs):
- Cost: generally less expensive than fixed bridges, as they require less preparation and can be made with less expensive materials.
- Maintenance: require daily removal for cleaning and can be more difficult to keep clean than fixed bridges.
- Comfort: Some people find them to be uncomfortable or irritating to the gums and cheeks.
- Function: They can be less stable than fixed bridges, making it more difficult to eat certain foods.
- Cost: Fixed bridges are generally more expensive than RPDs, as they require more preparation and can be made with more expensive materials.
- Maintenance: Fixed bridges are permanent and do not require daily removal for cleaning. However, they still require regular brushing and flossing.
- Comfort: Fixed bridges are more comfortable than RPDs and are typically easier to get used to.
- Function: Fixed bridges are more stable than removables, making it easier to eat and speak with confidence.
When deciding between removable partial dentures and fixed bridges, it’s important to consider your individual needs and preferences, as well as the recommendations of your dentist. Factors such as the number of missing teeth, the condition of surrounding teeth, and the health of your gums can all play a role in determining the best option for you.
At McCallum Dental, we offer both removable partial dentures and fixed bridges as options for replacing missing teeth. Our experienced team can provide you with personalized recommendations and guide you through the decision-making process. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more.